This is the process of using software and hardware resources on a network, usually the internet, as a service. Cloud Computing comes from the symbol that represents the complex nature of the infrastructure which is a cloud. There are many types of public cloud computing:
- Infrastructure as a service (IaaS)
- Platform as a service (PaaS)
- Software as a service (SaaS)
- Storage as a service (STaaS)
- Security as a service (SECaaS)
- Data as a service (DaaS)
- Test environment as a service (TEaaS)
- Desktop as a service (DaaS)
- API as a service (APIaaS)
- Backend as a service (Baas)
User access to a cloud-based application is done through a web browser or a light-weight mobile app or desktop app. Cloud computing is easy to implement and easy to maintain.
More than likely you have used some form of a cloud computing network. If you have ever used Gmail, Yahoo Mail, or Hotmail then you have somewhat used cloud computing. Some other notable cloud networks are Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon, Apple MobileMe, and many more.